When you apply for a vacancy you should send a covering letter with your CV or application form. It should:
- Have your name, address, phone number and email address on it.
- Be neat and well presented – check your spelling.
- Say which job you’re applying for and where you saw it advertised.
- Briefly explain why you want the job.
- Let the employer know that you’ve attaching your CV or completed application form.
Tips for writing your covering letter
- Keep it short and to the point.
- Think carefully about what you want to say – do a rough copy first.
- Word process it unless the employer asks for it to be hand written.
- Use plain white paper and envelopes, it will be easier to read and look more professional.
- Read through your finished letter and get someone else to check it too.
- Remember to keep a copy.
Remember to keep an up-to-date list of the vacancies you’ve applied for.