Everyone can live a healthier lifestyle by making a few simple changes to their daily diet. This doesn’t mean that you cut out everything you like and live on raw vegetables and natural yoghurt!
Tips and hints for healthy eating
- Try to eat at least eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day – fresh, frozen, juice and tinned all count
- Eat regular meals and don’t skip breakfast
- Drink plenty of water and avoid lots of sugary drinks. Alcohol has a very high sugar content
- Don’t add extra salt to your food and keep an eye on how much salt is in the food you buy
- Reduce the amount of sugar you have each day – lots of people don’t realise just how much sugar is in their food and drink
- Cut down on the amount of fatty and junk food you eat. This includes fast food takeaways, crisps, chips and other packaged snack foods
- Control your portion sizes. Eating more than your body needs or uses will result in calories being converted into stored fat
- Eat plenty of carbohydrates like rice and cereal and protein like eggs, fish and meat. How about giving brown rice, pasta or bread a go?
You can have a healthy, balanced diet and not eat meat, but you need to find out about how to do it. For good information go to the website tab above.
If you have serious concerns about your weight or diet get some advice from a health professional at your school, college or doctor’s practice.