There has never been a better time to stop for you and your baby.
Stopping smoking is the single most important thing you can do to improve your own health and the health of your baby.
It is never too late to stop smoking during pregnancy and Phoenix is here to help you. With specially trained advisors in your local area to give advice and support.
If you are pregnant and want to stop smoking, take the first step now.
When you smoke you inhale over 4,000 chemicals from the cigarette, including ammonia (found in cleaning fluids), arsenic and cyanide (both deadly poisons).
Carbon monoxide gets into your bloodstream and restricts the oxygen that’s essential for your baby’s healthy growth and development.
As cigarettes restrict your baby’s oxygen supply, their tiny heart has to beat harder every time you smoke.
Babies and children exposed to a smokey atmosphere are:
- Twice as likely to have asthma attacks and chest infections
- More likely to need hospital care in their fist year of life
- Off sick from school more often • More likely to get coughs, colds and wheezes
- If a child’s parents smoke they are 3 times more likely to smoke themselves
What can you do to protect babies and children?
- If you and your partner smoke, try to stop together
- Keep your home smoke-free by asking family and friends to smoke outside or before they visit
Call free on 0800 840 1533 or text ‘QUIT’ to 077814 81717