The red cliffs along the river gave Radcliffe-on-Trent its name. The first specific information about the village comes from the Domesday Book of 1086, some twenty years after the Norman Conquest. This records two manors and fisheries, but there is no mention of a church or mills. Lamcote, Radcliffe’s neighbouring hamlet, had three manors.
Eventually it would be absorbed and administered by Radcliffe, despite being in the ecclesiastical parish of Holme Pierrepont. In medieval times the main landowners were the Deyncourt, Basily, Grey and Strelly families.
Always check train times before travelling. Call National Rail enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 or check their website.
East Midlands Trains www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
(Lincolnshire County Council is not responsible for the content of external weblinks)
Ticket sales by ‘phone: 08457 125 678