Firebuy Ltd is the new national procurement organisation; a Non Departmental Public Body set up by Communities and Local Government in April 2006, to secure goods and services as part of that modernisation process and is a major part of the National Procurement Strategy for the FRS. Firebuy Ltd will deliver strategic co-ordination of procurement projects to ensure standardisation of output specifications, co-ordination of technical services and market development for equipment, vehicles and clothing.
Several aims feature high on Firebuy's agenda:-
- The raising of standards & improved efficiencies of vehicles and equipment to ensure that all firefighters have access to the best we can afford;
- Careful consideration of diversity issues so that equipment meets the needs of an evolving and modern workforce;
- Recognition of procurement professionalism via membership of a newly formed professional procurement association (work in progress) which values CIPS qualifications as well as experience;
- Clear lines of communication between the users - FRS - and industry - with FIRESA and the CFOA/National Procurement Board feeding into Firebuy.
- Improved contract management arrangements which is currently not done as well as it could be and which needs further resources so that the procurement process work is not wasted;
- A drive towards sustainable and environmentally ethical procurement including the encouragement of SMEs within industry.