Schools and Countryside Access

Explore your local rights of way and discover the countryside around your school

The Countryside Access Team can provide your school with information and maps showing all your local rights of way (footpaths, bridleways and restricted byways).

Make the most of your local rights of way by using them:

  • To get to and from school
  • To access local facilities and amenities
  • For physical activities such as walking and running
  • To develop map reading skills
  • To access the local countryside
  • To study wildlife
  • To study the local area

If you want to get really involved you could adopt a local path.  It’s up to you how much you do, but it could include:

  • Monitoring and reporting problems
  • Seasonal surveys of users and/or wildlife
  • Producing on site information (boards and signs)
  • Producing a leaflet for a local walk route
  • Keeping the path clear of vegetation
  • Improving the surface and structures

All with our support and assistance.

For more information and ideas try our new Education Pack.

If you would like a map of the area around your school showing the rights of way, or you would like to adopt a local path or discuss a project you have in mind please contact the Countryside Access Team on 01522 782070 or at


Did you find what you were looking for?

Please give us your name, email address and any comments you have.

Last updated: 11 April 2014

Bookmark with:

What are these?